Agile Project Manager Should Keep the PMBOK
In this article, Robert Galen argues that traditional project managers DO need to reframe themselves and their approaches in an agile context. They must become context-based and situational in your approaches. However, “traditional” principles and techniques from the PMBOK shouldn’t be “thrown away” in agile projects.
Traditional project management recommends to:
* be more demanding high quality, excellent software, and adherence to our agile principles
* pay close attention to risks
* encourage the teams to improve at an accelerated rate
* become visible as leaders and spokespersons for their teams
* take the role of impediment resolution to the next level
* cheerlead for their teams
His conclusion is that solid project managers can find a place in agile teams… a place that makes a HUGE difference.